Dear church, friends and those searching for a new beginning: Our church is listening to God to learn what it is God wants to do with us, among us, through us, and for us and others as we continue to worship and serve our Lord Jesus Christ. Sometimes getting a little “outside help” from someone who has never been to our church or worshiped with us, or know what we are about, is helpful. It’s like listening to someone who sees us with fresh eyes, and sometimes that’s better than what we see. So we’re taking a risk and participating in a new initiative called, “New Beginnings.” Read below and join us for all that will happen as we anticipate God’s blessing of a new beginning for us, and perhaps for you, too! New Beginnings For Churches Faithfully Seeking New Life
1. Our church’s session has adopted this new denominational resource and leadership for discerning God’s future direction for our church’s future.
2.Thanks be to God for the funds we received to cover the costs of this new initiative from dedicated church members, from the gift Lowell Sewell left to the church upon his death, and Mission Presbytery.
3. Everyone – members and regular guests are wanted to fully participate in this endeavor by: Attending the dessert event on Tuesday, May 19 at 7:00 p.m., Clement Hall where we will have a lively conversation with our assigned denominational assessor and our presbytery liaison who’ll be eager to learn about our church and our dreams, hopes and desires. Before this dessert event, the assessor will have toured our facilities, met with leaders who are familiar with our finances, met with the interim pastor and clerk of session, received congregational annual calendar of ministries, and the demographics of the membership and friends. Also, the assessor will have toured our town.
4. A couple of months after the denominational assessor has been here, we’ll receive a report that will convey what the assessor thinks are our strengths and opportunities for ministry.
5. Nine churches including us, in our presbytery, are participating in this new initiative. The session will recruit some members to be trained to be small group leaders, who will be given the skills for interpreting our assessor’s report and in spiritual discernment for our future.
6. All members and our friends will be needed to be in our small groups where the prayerful brainstorming will take place for new ministries. 7. All new ideas for ministry will be shared with the session for their decision-making, and for leading us in our new direction. Please keep the church in your prayers and ask that the Holy Spirit keep you attentive to what God is calling us to be and do in this time and place. Believing with you,