Jesus Is Among Us
Jesus is Among Us
Now on that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and went with them, but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. (Luke 24: 13-16)
Sometimes seeing is spiritual. The two followers of Jesus were, for whatever reason, unable to see Jesus among them. I believe we are kept from clear spiritual vision for whatever reason in certain seasons of life. As the two walkers went on their way they encounter Cleopas who expresses surprise and possibly concern that they could not discern the joy that had overtaken Jerusalem. Jesus was alive! Reports of sightings of Jesus and conversations with him permeated the villages and the city. Jesus is among us! was the talk of the marketplace, the temple, wherever people gathered.
Today, Jesus remains with us. Our inability or ability to “see” him is not dependent on our religious exercise or lack of it. Only the grace and mercy of God allows us to discern Christ and rejoice in His Presence.
Celebration of the Resurrection and the steps leading up to that glorious day will take place in several services and events this year in Palacios and Collegeport:
- ~Palm Sunday worship with blessing of the palms and reading of the Triumphal Entry at 9:00 AM at Collegeport and 11:00 AM at First Presbyterian Church (FPC) Palacios.
- ~ Maundy (Mandatum) Thursday service of Holy Communion on March 24 at 7:00 PM at FPC, Palacios recreating the Upper Room supper with Jesus. ~Good Friday Tenebrae (service of darkness) at FPC, Palacios on March 25 at 7:00 PM.
- ~The Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday, March 26 from 6:00-mindnight at FPC, Palacios. Come and go for individual prayer.
- ~Sunrise Celebration of the Resurrection at the Texas Baptist Encampment on Easter Sunday, March 27 at 6:30am for the community.
- ~Celebration of the Resurrection on Easter Sunday, March 27 at FPC, Collegeport at 9:00 AM; FPC, Palacios at 11:00 AM and at Casa de Dios at 11:00 AM.
- ~Easter potluck breakfast and Easter egg hunt preceding worship at FPC, Palacios.